Menu Close

Tier 2/5


Tier 2 Route

Tier 2 is the current immigration route for skilled workers and up to date Home Office guidance can be found by clicking here

There are 4 categories under the Tier 2 route:

This route is for workers who have an offer of a skilled job from an employer in the UK that cannot be filled by a settled worker and includes workers coming to the UK to fill shortage occupations.
Intra Company Transfer
Is for an existing employee of a multinational employer who needs to be transferred by the overseas employer to a UK branch which is linked by common ownership or control; for training purposes or to fill a specific vacancy that cannot be filled by a settled or EEA worker either on a long-term basis or for frequent short visits. Please note that there are 2 further sub-categories in Tier 2 (Intra Company Transfer): Long-term Staff: Is for an employee who needs to be transferred to a job which cannot be filled by a new UK recruit; they must have worked for their employer overseas for at least 12 months (unless they will earn at least £73,900 in the UK) Graduate Trainee: Is for an employee who transfers into a graduate trainee programme for a specialist role; they must be a recent graduate with at least 3 months’ experience with their employer overseas

This route is for elite sportspeople and coaches who are internationally established at the highest level and whose employment will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport at the highest level in the UK, and who will base themselves in the UK
Minister of Religion
This route is for religious workers who have an offer of a job within a faith community, such as, a minister of religion, missionary, or member of a religious order, in the UK.

Tier 5 Route

There are 2 categories under the Tier 5 route:

Temporary Worker
This route is for workers to work in a variety of temporary roles with an organisation in the UK which will help to satisfy cultural, charitable, religious or international objectives including volunteering and job shadowing, and for meeting seasonal employment needs in the edible horticultural sector. Please note that there are 6 sub-categories in this category: Creative and sporting: This route is for sports people, entertainers or creative artists who have been offered work in the UK for up to 12 months Charity workers: This route is for voluntary workers who wish to do unpaid work for a charity; it does not include those doing paid work for a charity Religious workers: This route is for those who want to do religious work, such as working in a religious order Government authorised exchange: This route is for those who want to come to the UK for a short time for work experience or to do training, an Overseas Government Language Programme, research or a fellowship through an approved government authorised exchange scheme International agreement: This route is for those contracted to do work covered by international law while in the UK, such as, working for a foreign government or as a private servant in a diplomatic household Seasonal workers: This is a pilot route, enabling employers in the edible horticulture sector to employ seasonal workers through an approved scheme operator for up to 6 months
Youth Mobility Scheme
Is a cultural exchange scheme which aims to promote the UK overseas and to encourage trade and tourism – it allows young people, aged between 18 and 30, to travel to the UK for mainly non-economic reasons, and offers young migrants from participating countries and territories, opportunities to work temporarily while experiencing life in the UK

At the beginning of 2021 an updated Points Based System is going to be implemented, although broadly based on the existing model. Further information on this can be found at

If you are a business either already with or planning to apply for a Tier and/or Tier 5 Sponsor Licence, then Five Star can guide you through this rapidly evolving situation.

UK Immigration Policy and particularly that dealing with the Points Based System, both old and new is ever changing and sound advice is always recommended.

Please contact us today to book your consultation.