Extension applications for UK visas

Visa extensions in the UK allow individuals to prolong their stay, continue their work or complete their studies. The extension process and requirements vary depending on the type of visa you currently hold.

Skilled Worker visa extension

The Skilled Worker visa extension is designed for individuals who have been working in the UK under a Skilled Worker visa and wish to continue their employment.

To be eligible, you must have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) and continue to meet the minimum salary requirement or the “going rate” for your occupation.

Student visa extension

The Student visa extension is for international students who need more time to complete their studies or wish to pursue further education in the UK.

To qualify for an extension, you must have a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from your educational institution and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially.

Global Talent visa extension

Global Talent visa extensions are for individuals who have been endorsed as a recognised leader (exceptional talent) or an emerging leader (exceptional promise) in their field.
To be eligible, you must maintain your endorsement from a recognised UK body in your field of expertise.

Dependent visa applications

Dependents of various visa holders, such as Skilled Worker, Student, Intra-company Transfer and Global Talent visa holders, can also apply for an extension. They must:

  • Be the partner (spouse, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner) or child under 18 of the main visa holder.
  • Have a valid visa as a dependant of the main visa holder.
  • Prove their relationship to the main applicant (if requested).

Family and Partner visa extension

Family and Partner visa extensions are for those who have a valid visa as a family member, partner or spouse of a British citizen, person with settled status, or someone with a valid visa.

Eligibility requirements include proving your relationship, meeting the financial requirements and having suitable accommodation in the UK.

Further Leave to Remain applications

If you wish to apply for Further Leave to Remain, you may do so through one of the following channels, depending on your individual circumstances:

  • FLR (M) category – also known as Further Leave to Remain based on marriage.
  • FLR (FP) category – also known as Further Leave to Remain based on family and private life.

What is the difference between FLR(M) and FLR(FP)?

  • FLR (M) category

  • FLR (F and P) categories

Further Leave to Remain in the FLR ‘M’ category can be used to apply for an extension as the spouse, partner or dependant child of a British citizen or a person present and settled in the UK, or someone in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection.

To qualify for FLR(M), an applicant must currently have valid leave to be in the UK and be able to evidence a relationship requirement. For example, they must be able to show that their relationship with their partner is genuine and continuing and that they intend to live together permanently, or that they’re still a dependent child living with their British or settled parent. A financial requirement and an English language requirement must also be met.

Under this route, you’ll be on what is referred to as the ‘5-year path’ to ILR. This means that after a continuous stay in the UK for a period of at least 5 years under the same visa category, you can apply for permanent residency, free from any further immigration restrictions.

The main requirements to be eligible to apply to extend a spouse or partner visa are

  • Must be the spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner of at least two years to someone who is a British or Irish citizen, a person with settled status in the UK, such as with Indefinite Leave to Remain, settlement, or pre-settlement under the EU Settlement Scheme.

FLR in the ‘F and P’ categories is used for applications based on either family or private life.

A family life application will cover partners of a British national or settled person in the UK, where the applicant does not meet the requirements for FLR (M) but qualifies for an exception under the FLR (FP) rules. However, financial, accommodation and English language requirements must still be met.

The ‘F’ category will also cover parents of a British or a settled child in the UK, such as the parent of a non-British child who has lived in the UK for 7 years.

The ‘P’ category relates to very specific scenarios based on the applicant’s age. To qualify on the basis of private life, an applicant must be, for example:

  • Under 18 at the date of application, have lived in the UK for at least 7 years and be able to show that it would not be reasonable to expect them to leave.
  • Aged between 18-24 and have lived continuously in the UK for half of their life.
  • Aged 18 or over, but not meet the half-life test if under 25, and have lived in the UK for more than 20 years, or there would be very significant obstacles to their re-integration into the country where they would have to live if required to leave.

An extension of stay under FLR (FP) will last for 2.5 years, just as with FLR(M). The main difference, however, is that applicants will usually be on a 10-year route to settlement, requiring multiple applications for Further Leave to Remain to be eligible for ILR.

It’s possible to qualify for the 5-year route as a parent, but you must satisfy all of the requirements.

Switching from the 10-year route to the 5-year route will also reset the clock when it comes to the qualifying residence requirement, where time previously spent in the UK will not count.

How Five Star can help

If you’re looking to extend your stay in the UK as a Skilled Worker, spouse, partner or dependent child, it’s important to understand the requirements and eligibility criteria for your application.

Our expert team of immigration specialists can provide guidance and assistance throughout the application process, ensuring that you have the best chance of success. We’re on hand for any complex cases and can provide the support you need to enhance your application.


We offer initial consultations with one of our immigration lawyers to discuss your individual circumstances, understand your needs and determine the most suitable visa route for you.

Eligibility assessment

We’ll thoroughly assess your case to ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria for the FLR (M) or FLR (FP) applications and advise you on any potential issues that may arise during the application process.

Application preparation

We’ll assist you in gathering and organising the necessary documentation, as well as completing the application forms accurately and in a timely manner.

Document review

Our team of lawyers will meticulously review your supporting documents to ensure that they meet the stringent requirements set by the UK Home Office and provide guidance on strengthening your application if needed.

Personal statement assistance

The expert team can help you draft a compelling personal statement that effectively communicates your reasons for extending your stay in the UK, addressing any potential concerns that the Home Office may have.

Liasing with the Home Office

The team will liaise with the UK Home Office on your behalf, submitting your application and handling any queries or correspondence from the authorities.

Interview preparation

If required, our solicitors can help you prepare for any interviews with the Home Office, offering guidance on what to expect and how to present your case effectively.

Appeals and administrative reviews

In the event that your application is refused, our expert team can advise you on the available options for challenging the decision, including filing an appeal or requesting an administrative review.

Ongoing support

Throughout the entire process, our team will provide ongoing support, keeping you informed of any updates or developments in your case and addressing any concerns or questions that you may have.

Post-approval assistance

Once your FLR (M) or FLR (FP) application is approved, the team can offer guidance on the next steps, such as applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) or British citizenship.

A timely application and meeting eligibility requirements are essential to maintaining your legal status in the UK.

Individual and family immigration specialists

Discover the pathways for immigration to the UK with Five Star.

By choosing Five Star, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that your visa application is in capable hands.

Contact us